(please try to keep blog posts to a maximum of 400 words & comments to a maximum of 200 words)

Monday, March 13, 2006

Dog for dinner?


(Photo: cooked dogs in SE China)

When engaged with a new society, with different cultural values should the newcomer be expected to convert completely to the cultural and social etiquette around them? Language, dress norms, and the use of narcotics are all major issues that separate societies, posing major issues for newcomers. With France, Spain, America and now Australia flirting with laws limiting traditional symbols of Arabian culture (the wearing of headscarves for girls in school), these are certainly testing times for civil liberties and cultural independence in the face of the traditionally 'free' western countries.

Yet, even in more benign issues, what is a reasonable expectation of a new-arrival to respect and conform to the values of their adopted country?

To draw this away from the previous topic of the burqa and make it less culturally specific, I would like to explore the example of inter-cultural fare (food being a typical marker of culture as it works in every-day society).

What would you draw the line at in terms of food?

Is it rude to refuse to eat something that is culturally off-the-table at home, or that plain tastes awful? In what circumstances would it be acceptable or not to eat something controversial at home that is on the menu in another country?

Many issues of religion, biological conservation, moral beliefs and historical pressures shape our views and what foods are acceptable. Would you try whale at a sushi-ya? Would you refuse the heart and liver of a Marmot in a mongolian-ger? Would you be offended if your guest refused to eat a non-kosher dinner, or be frustrated with a partner's strict vegan diet?

Where do your personal lines lie, and what should we expect of ourselves and others when engaged in a new society?

Related article: http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=113

Comments:


I didn't write this post or choose the picture but put it up on behalf of one of the other members.

I actually had a bit of a hard time deciding whether or not the picture should be included because personally I find it quite revolting/disturbing.

I eventually realised, however, that that was the whole point of the post. For example, if it was a similar picture of roast ducks or chickens or pigs, I wouldn't have been disgusted at all because I was totally used to associating these animals with food and because I'd come across such images often in real life as well as in photographs.

Different strokes eh?

 


This comment has been removed by the author.

 


Hey Ohma Travis,

Welcome and thanks for contributing!

Just a small request for future posts/comments, please try to keep to the recommended word limit! (See note at top of the page). The limits are 400 words for posts and 200 words for comments.

Cheers!

 
Post a Comment




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?